Thursday, August 28, 2008

Grandpa's Songs

Grandpa’s Songs
O My Father
O’ my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place,
When shall I regain thy presence
And again behold Thy face?
In thy holy habitation did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood
Was I nurtured near thy side?

For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast placed me here on earth,
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth.
Yet oft times a secret something
Whispered, “You’re a stranger her.”
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

I had learned to call thee Father
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heavens are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason, truth eternal
Tells me I’ve a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length when I’ve completed
All you’ve sent me forth to do
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.
Eliza Snow


Be Still My Soul
Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side:
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;
All now mysterious, shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them, while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: The hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed, we shall meet at last.
Katharina von Schlegel

God Be With You Till We Meet Again
God be with you till we meet again;
By his counsels guide, uphold you;
With his sheep securely fold you.
God be with you till we meet again
God be with you till we meet again;
When life’s perils thick confound you,
Put his arms unfailing round you.
God be with you till we meet again.
God be with you till we meet again.
Keep love’s banner floating o’er you;
Smite death’s threatening wave before you.
God be with you till we meet again.
Jeremiah Rankin

No comments: